Thursday, April 26, 2007

random nursing story

Sometimes people really surprise me. Yesterday was no exception. I was driving home from a visit with Justin's parents in Shepherdsville. My plan for Lewis to sleep the whole way did not pan out, and he was getting fussy and we were still a good 30 miles from home. So I pulled off in Munfordville, KY behind the DQ in the parking lot of a strip mall, determined to feed Lewis as quickly as possible and get back on the road. We've done this many times in desperate situations where there was no private area to nurse a baby. Side note: I'm not into breastfeeding in public. Lewis refuses to stay covered up and gets so distracted that I usually feed him in a low-lit room even at home.

My strategy in these parked-car situations is to pull to the back of the lot where there are few, if any, other cars. I have to sit in the passenger seat so that there is room to maneuver. In Munfordville, I found my spot, got set up and started nursing, when about 5 cars pulled in and parked all around me. I had rolled down the windows because it was hot, and so the car on my right was very up close and personal. I turned to look, trying to stay covered, and was relieved that it was a woman, probably in her 40's. I smiled and nodded and turned my attention back to Lewis. This woman proceeded to stand there, watching, saying sweetly, "Oh my, you have a LITTLE one!" When I realized she was not going to leave I said, "He gets very distracted while he eats if you don't mind." She quickly turned and walked off, seemingly offended.

The next thing I knew, a car was backing into the spot to my left. When this car got parked, the driver also had a very good view. To my dismay, this driver was a man, who rolled down his windows and just sat there! Lewis was angry because I was no longer feeding him at all with our new visitor. Frustrated I turned to the man and said, "Excuse me, I'm trying to nurse my baby. Is it possible you could park somewhere else?" He seemed sincerely apologetic and said, "I'm sorry, sure I can move. I'm just here to pick someone up from some training. They told us to park back here."

Just my luck!! As soon as my new friend left, I calmed down and was able to feed my boy, and we were back on the road in no time. The situation was frustrating, but I could not figure out why the first lady felt so comfortable watching a stranger nurse. It seemed obvious that I was trying to be private. My mothering reaction was to chase off the intruder, at which I quickly succeeded. Maybe someone should invent window shades that provide cover saying, "EXCUSE ME, I'm breastfeeding!" I'm sure this little lady in Munfordville is writing on her blog about what a rude, young mother chased her away from a beautiful moment. Hopefully we will both be able to move on and forgive each other. :)

Sorry to vent. I just couldn't believe it! Early on strangers said all kinds of weird things to me just walking around with Lewis, but this one took the cake!! Do any of you have any weird stories like this?

No comments: