Tuesday, February 12, 2008

friendship

My local group of moms that I hang out with had an interesting discussion about friendships the other day (a subtopic of a marriage discussion). It seems like as you add children to your home that marriage can become more challenging and certainly a lot more work. We're all tired and trying to communicate deeply takes effort.

This seems to trickle over into our friendships with women too. We all know we need each other.....we need fellowship and the wise counsel of others going through similar things. Still, it is hard sometimes to lower our personal fences and share our problems or other deep things in our lives.

I've been reading John & Stasi Eldgredge's book "Captivating" which often puts me a very melancholy mood as I consider what it means to be a woman. If you're like me you try to stuff your 'needs' into the closet and pretend to be strong all the time so that your husband or family does not feel overwhelmed by you. But the reality is that we want our husbands to pursue us and to be interested in us, even when our lives consist mostly of diapers and Elmo's World.

In the book, they also discuss female relationships and how women's fear of rejection spills over into regular friendships and keeps us from bonding with one another. It seemed like it was easier before I got married somehow. And yet I still need other women as much as I did before.....maybe even more. Anyway, this is a deeper topic, but wanted to see if any of you out there feel lonely or have any thoughts on developing better friendships. You can post here or on Facebook.

Thanks!!

1 comment:

Kelly & Nathan said...

Nathan and I don't have children yet, but I agree about needing women in your life... and making 'best friends' isn't as easy as it was when we were young. Having a woman in your life that is so close and understanding and gives you that deep friendship and support is something I took for granted in my friend Caroline now that we are apart. As far as how to achieve that... I certainly don't know. But I think you are right on and described what most women are actually feeling.