Tuesday, December 23, 2008

moving on

So my last post was me sharing my anger with the world. Forgive me! I actually sent a letter to "Ed" apologizing for offending him and explaining a little more of where we were coming from. Hopefully we can all move on with our lives!

Last week, our new speech therapist came. She seems great. I was skeptical because she was the only one available and we usually get to pick from 20 or so people. When I have no option like this, I have to believe that maybe God picked her for us. She came in on Friday and asked a lot of questions about Lewis and the type of therapy we think he needs. We told her about our plan to get an ABA program in place and she offered to use the program during her appointments! I was thrilled, and even shocked that she is so accommodating. She has a cousin with autism so she is familiar with what we are going through and even applauded us for making an appointment with a DAN doctor. These are docs who test kids to see if they have food sensitivities or could benefit from biomedical interventions. Most regular doctors or therapists think all that kind of thing is wacky (even though there is lots of evidence to show it works), so I was really excited that she seems to be a kindred spirit.

She knows that biomedical stuff (gluten/casein free diet etc.) does not work for every child, but it works for enough of them that it is worth a shot.

It was really refreshing to not have to fight with someone during a whole session. What a relief! So we are on our way to something good, we hope.

This is a busy time of year, and it can get very stressful navigating kids through all the events without having a moment to slow down to reflect and ponder our Savior coming to earth as an infant of all things. What a beautiful picture of God's creative and tender heart! I don't have any inspiring words, but hope that you enjoy the season, and welcome in a new beginning in 2009. As my sister has been saying, "2008 can't be over soon enough!" We're ready for a new year. Merry Christmas!

No comments: