Friday, July 20, 2007

leisure?

This week I have been thinking about the concept of "leisure." In reading this month's chapter from Joyce Rupp's book (that I must comment on each month!), she addresses this topic under the guise of rediscovering our inner child. Rupp is a Catholic nun, as far as I can tell, and it is interesting to consider her perspective since she is not a parent, and yet takes great lengths to stay connected to children in a desire to keep her inner child alive. It sounds almost cheesy, and yet she takes the stance that children live in deep awe and wonder of the world around them, something that adults fail to do so much of the time. As God's children, we should strive to live in a state of wonder at God, and all the things He's made, and all that He is doing around us. Rupp writes:

"I believe that rediscovering our inner child can have a great impact on our spiritual life. This inner ability to wonder and to be in awe most helps us to become contemplative. Contemplation is the prayer of quiet in which we are at home with God. We do not need words. We can be content simply to look upon God and to have God look upon us with great love. Contemplation is the prayer of being in God's presence. Our inner child helps us to enjoy being over doing. In contemplation we do not worry about the success of our prayer or if God is going to answer our prayer or if we are praying the right way. We are simply being with God and enjoying God's presence.

"I once ready a translation of Psalm 46 that had the line 'Have leisure and know that I am God' rather than the familiar 'Be still and know that I am God.' In our true leisure times we can learn to be more receptive, more open, more peaceful, and more ready to recognize the many gifts in our life. Leisure is more than just not doing anything. It is intentionally enjoying life without having to be functional or productive. When we are experiencing leisure we often do not have anything to show for it except a happy heart or a spirit that relishes time spent alone or with others."

I'm not sure about you, but this is a very tough concept for me! It seems like Justin asks from time to time if there's something I want to go do, and offers to watch Lewis.....but I'm so out of touch with the idea of leisure and just enjoying life that it's hard for me to think of something that I can do that does not involve getting something crossed off my list.

The first question in the Westminster catechism asks about the chief end of man, and the answer is "To glorify God and enjoy him forever." Having some leisure time to just be with God, and even do something you enjoy is a wonderful way to fulfill this end. Lewis is a wonderful example of how to do this. He finds it amazing that cabinets open and close, and he chooses to do this over and over just for fun. It's funny that in our society, and even in the church, it seems more spiritual to constantly set aside your desires for work or to accomplish some goal. Really, God's intention is for us to enjoy our lives because our joy is evidence of His glory. It shows that our God is meeting our needs. Our contentment is a testimony to the magnificence of God.

None of this means that work is bad. We absolutely have to keep a balance, but the American work ethic is one that keeps most of us erring on the side of work, success, accomplishments etc.

So.....practically, my hope is to try to practice some leisure in the near future. If anyone has suggestions on how to do that, please let us know!!

2 comments:

the Powells said...

why do we forget to enjoy life?

...and i think it's pretty funny that we have to work and practice how to do nothing (and enjoy what God has given). true leisure creates a contentment in our heart for the things that we have that God has given. i agree there is a place for work (some days, not that many, i just really enjoy getting down on my knees and washing the floor) but so much of "work" becomes a grasping, wanting kind of attitude. does anyone else constantly compare yourself to others? or some ultimate idea you have of what your life should be like? i have to constantly (no, i take that back, not constantly because often i do not listen) be reminded that i don't have to DO anything or be anything MORE... and He loves me more than i can understand.

just be... the be-ing He made me to be.

Valentine Morozov said...

Shelley,
I agree. I always feel like I'm supposed to be "doing" something. Why do I have to be so "Martha-like" when it comes to life?

This summer, my husband has helped me "enjoy" life a bit more. We have gone on several evenings after work, preschool, etc.. is over to the lake that is about 2 minutes from our apt. I sit and "enjoy" while he and my 3 year old son fish! There is something about sitting still (and we still have yet to bring any fish home) and not having "anything to show for it" except a great evening with my family and watching the sun go down and feeling the breeze from the lake on my face. It is teaching me a lot about dropping all the "productive" things I could be doing during that time and just enjoying it! Great post about this!!!

Heather :)