Monday, March 12, 2007

good times

"Greet one another with a holy kiss."--2 Corinthians 13:12

The other day I realized that Lewis is outgrowing his current wardrobe, and with the warm weather (it has been in the 70s several days recently) it seemed like a good time to try out a "new" outfit. It had been a while since he had anything new to wear and I guess I forgot how fun it is to see Lewis in something different. Maybe it's a way of reverting back to my childhood and dressing my dolls or something, but my heart wells up with pride and genuine joy when I get to pick out and dress Lewis in new outfits. It's one of my favorite parts of motherhood.

Another new thing for us has been getting kisses from our boy! After one of his female friends, who will remain nameless, gave him a kiss last week, we decided to try teaching Lewis to give kisses too. I was amazed at how quickly he figured it out. He started kissing me as I prompted him excitedly saying, "Give mama a kiss!" while directing his mouth toward my cheek. We moved on to his glo-worm which worked pretty well too. He was hesitant to kiss his daddy at first, but eventually figured that out after kissing his Aunt Monica, and then himself in the mirror. I'll say "Kiss Lewis!" and he moves in and absolutely cracks himself up! This morning after his first feeding, he spontaneously gave me a kiss for the first time. What a sweet boy!! His kisses remain pretty sloppy at this point, but I love getting them regardless. :)

It occurred to me after thinking about the last few days that being a mom has it tough spots, but the joys that come from watching babies grow is infinitely priceless. What a fun way to learn about life, ourselves and the God who created us.

What are you finding joy in as a mother right now?

2 comments:

me said...

I have been so full of joy in being a mother this past week. The spring weather could not have come at a more appropriate time. Everything outside is coming to life, and just feeling the air on my face as I drive is exciting. But, on top of all that, Taylor seems to realize that her one-year birthday is only a couple of weeks away and she's in a hurry to accomplish all she can. She started sleeping through the night on Friday and yesterday (Sunday) she spent the ENTIRE night in her crib and only work up once (at 5:30 am) to eat. For those of you who know me, we're usually on an all-night buffet schedule in my bed, with lots of screaming and waking up regardless of where she is. So this is an amazing development. She is also walking! We bought her first pair of hard soled shoes today - new sandals so she can play outside. And she's understanding tons of things that we say and responding to them. It's incredibly exciting. To have all of that go along with three good nights of sleep in a row (after a year of sleeplessness) has me walking on air!!!

yulia said...

Watching my little 10 week old guy learn and figure new things out each day brings me joy. Anthony is puzzled by clapping and even though he can't yet do it himself (his two little hands have a hard time meetting together unless they are at or in his mouth:)) I know tomorrow he will wake up and do it:) I guess change is not always negative and sometimes it brings good things!