Thursday, March 1, 2007

shelter

"In God alone there is rest for my soul,...my rock, my safety, my stronghold so that I stand unshaken."--(Psalm 62:1-2)

Some thoughts from Joyce Rupp's book May I Have This Dance on finding our shelter in the Lord: "Another reason we might not lean very well is that we may not know and trust God enough. We may dread the thought of being vulnerable--even to God. We may fear what will happen to us if we surrender ourselves to God, or we may find ourselves getting tired of having to lean on God. We'd like to be able to take care of the pain by ourselves. I once saw a cartoon that said, 'God, would you help me with this, but make it look like I did it all by myself?'

The Hebrew psalms are filled with images of God as an encircling shield, a shelter, a stronghold when times are difficult, a rock, a fortress, someone who revives our soul and girds us with strength, shelters us under an awning and hides us deep in a protective tent. God is a comfort in illness and a light in the darkness. What a wonderful opportunity we have to take our struggles to this God and receive encouragement, consolation, compassion, understanding, and full acceptance."

Joyce's words encouraged me today, and I hope they do the same for you!

To hear Sandra McCracken's song "Shelter" click HERE and view her performing it live in her living room.

*Moms with multiple children are still encouraged to add advice to the last post at their leisure (if they get some leisure time!).

No comments: