Saturday, January 12, 2008

transitioning to a crib?

I started a "discussion" on the Facebook group the other day, but wanted to post it here for those of you who may not be members (yet!). Just wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have transitioned from a crib to a big boy/girl bed. What age did you try this at? Did you feel it went well? Did you use bedrails or anything like that to keep your child from falling out of the bed?

Our 2nd child is coming right when Lewis will turn two years-old. We're leaning toward getting another crib for the new baby, but could use your advice!

So far we've had one response from Amy Udy in Hong Kong:

I have 3 kids and the first two started sleeping on beds when they were two. Both did it very well and successfully. We put an extra mattress on the floor just in case they fell.
However, I am a bit "lazy" to transit the third child to bed from cot even he is two now. Mainly it is because the house we are living at has door handles which are lower enough for the kid to open the door by himself. So, when I put him to his room to sleep, he gets off the bed and opens the door to get out. It takes me time and energy to put him back to bed again and again every night / during the afternoon nap.

This didn't happen to the older two kids cos' they couldn't touch the door handles in our previous house. So, they got out of the bed but couldn't leave their rooms,therefore, eventually they went back to beds to sleep.

BTW, Congratulations on your pregnancy. Hope you have a safe and smooth delivery.

Therefore, my youngest one is still in cot...sigh. Howeve, I think I should start putting him to bed though...

Hm...should pray for that.

Any other comments/advice appreciated!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post because we too are trying to decide when we will transition Kristopher. He will be two in two weeks so I guess we should really be thinking about it. Any good suggestions pass them on and I guess I need to think about joining facebook too!!

Anonymous said...

I always remember reading in a parenting magazine that pediatricians recommend leaving a child in their crib until they are three. None of my kids have been that old! My cue is when they start crawling out and it becomes dangerous for them to be in it! For my kids this is usually around 2 1/2. If Lewis is happy and not climbing, I would keep him in there as long as possible! If he is in the crib you know he is safe and not wandering the house at night!

I have the Jenny Lind, like this one, http://www.target.com/Jenny-Delta-Childrens-Products-White/dp/B00005AKUK/sr=1-1/qid=1200151402/ref=sr_1_1/602-2009240-7815009?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Ajenny%20lind&page=1. I got it from Walmart for $100 and I love it tons more then the expensive crib I bought for Sam.

Good luck with everything! What ever you do I wouldn't do anything three months before or three months after the birth of your new little one!

Anonymous said...

Pretty much just at their 2 yrs old. I think actually it is better to move Lewis to the bed before the baby born, then he won't feel that he has to move cos' of the baby (they still can't see it this way until they see the actual baby...LOL). And also it will be easier for you to handle the transition first, then the new born rather than doing both at the same time. You know you will be very busy after the baby born. However, if Lewis still finds it very difficult to do the transition after trying for awhile, then I think it is okay to postpopne the transition. For me, the main thing is doing it as easy as possible (even my husband doesn't think the same way as I do...LOL) cos' I don't want to give myself and the kid pressure.

Hope my opinion helps a bit. BTW, have you thought about some names for the baby yet?

Anonymous said...

I didn't move my children from the crib until they were 2 1/2. At that age they understand and will stay in their bed a lot better. If your son is not climbing out of the crib, I would wait. Some children will do good at first then start getting up in the middle of the night, you don't need to deal with that when you have a newborn. If your son is happy in the crib, then by all means leave him in the crib where he is safe, there is no harm in having 2 in a crib at the same time. Have you talked to your son's doctor, he may be able to help you with your decision.
Katie (mother of 2)

Kristy said...

We moved our oldest at about 20 months. We were in the middle of a move and stopping at my parents for awhile. They only had a porta-crib that she was a little too long for and she tried to climb out of it, so we made the change there. When we got to our new house, she got a matress and box spring (with a bed rail) on the floor to start and then we moved it up on to the frame several months later. That way the crib was free for baby two, who arrived less than a month after her second birthday. That's what worked for us.