Wednesday, May 9, 2007

out of deep waters into delight

"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies....
He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.......He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me."--Psalm 18:1-3,16 & 19.


Sometimes it's hard to imagine the Lord delighting in me. Sometimes I don't feel very delightful. But if it's anything like the joy that Lewis brings to Justin and I, it's a wonderful thing! Just hearing Lewis cooing in the morning makes me giddy. He is so cute and sweet. In the morning he is especially silly. Once he has eaten he starts jumping and "talking" loudly. He often chooses that time to give several sloppy kisses. He doesn't have a lot of ways to show his affection, but I definitely take delight in the simple things he does to communicate his love. Even at 10 months old he is able to express love, and there is nothing sweeter to a mom. It is so humbling that God has entrusted us with this precious life for the next 18 years or so!

To think that God looks at me in the same way is such a comforting thought. There are many things I say and do that must disappoint him. Still, I know that he sees me as a whole person, and must see my heart and my true desire to bring him glory. Unfortunately, I do not carry out this desire flawlessly all the time, but it is the absolute passion of my life, and one I long to develop more and more. Today as you look at your child, allow yourself to consider that the God who made you is looking on you too and delighting in you.

No comments: